Travel Policies

Whatcom Council on Aging

Travel ID Requirements Crossing the US / Canada Border

Border Crossing Travel Document Requirements

A US Passport, Passport Card, Enhanced Driver License or an Enhanced ID Card (EDL/ID) is REQUIRED to cross the US/Canada border by land and sea.

A Passport is required for air travel.

A Passport Card or EDL/ID are NOT valid for air travel.

When travelling between Canada and the United States, it will be necessary to be checked by Customs and Border Protection at the border.

Some Important Things to Know Before You Cross the Border!

When traveling between Canada and the United States, it will be necessary to pass through Customs and Border Protecting at the border. The professionals who work at Customs are highly trained and this process is generally very simple. They’ll ask to see your ID, ask about your citizenship and ask you to produce one of the documents above when crossing the border. Millions of people cross the border every year with ease, but some are refused due to lack of sufficient documentation. If you want to have a successful border crossing, it is important to know everything you’ll need before you get there. Remember, these steps are in place to protect you so be sure to learn about crossing the border and avoid disappointment! See websites below for details.

Important & Informative Websites:

US Customs & Border Patrol:

Canada Border Service Agency:

If you are denied entry!

If you are denied entry into any country, you will be responsible to pay any fine or charge assessed against you by the Government concerned and for the cost of transporting you from that country. There will be no refund of fare collected for carriage to the point of refusal of entry or deportation will not be refunded by us. This applies to every individual in the group when traveling.